INCREDIBLY STRANGE COMICS
Funny peculiar or funny ha-ha? Anything is possible in this medium, where budgets can be unlimited and imagination and taste unbound. As evidence, this exhibition specially prepared for the Comica 08 Festival spotlights five extraordinary examples from American mainstream, underground and alternative productions.
These are not pastiches or fabrications but genuine published one-shot titles:
- an evangelical Christian tract set in Fascist Germany;
- an uninhibited confessional of Catholic guilt;
- a psychedelic romance in swinging Sixties London;
- a satirical road-trip by a pair of ageing homophobes; and
- a candid guide to sexual fulfilment for amputees.
The front cover of each of these comics is shown enlarged and framed, while below are prints of the first four pages of the interior story. To the left and right of each large frame are four further covers to comics related to the main comic by different themes. More…
Supported by Aurum Press.
Where: ICA concourse & bar, ICA, The Mall, London
When: November 14 to November 25, 2008